Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A zilch of mumbai in me


India is an amazing country. One can find all possible climates over here. From extreme cold to extreme hot, from arid desserts to heavy rainfall areas, one can enjoy all the seasons as per their comfort and will. Mumbai enjoyed two seasons primarily, extreme rain for about six months and moderate & humid summers for another six. The place I resided named Bhayander was famous for limited water supply from municipality so water tanker business was easily seen in the area. They filled up tankers from nearby wells and supplied to apartments on regular basis. But it didn’t suffice and one had to limit the per person usage of water. My elder brother never liked this idea of limiting the water usage for personal usage. He always yearned to live in the countryside, our home town in Faizabad which was plush with water supply from mother earth. There were many like us who were part of this ghettoized life of bhayander. This dearth of the quint-essential element water was replenished by rain water during rainy season. The apartment residents used to put buckets and beakers on the terrace to collect the natural water. Owing to heavy industrialization in the area, the rain water was dark and unfit to drink but it could be used for washing clothes and bathing.

I used local train for commuting to my college in new bombay. During rainy days, it wasn’t surprise that I had to walk in hip deep water from local train station to my residence. It was around 2 km of stretch and such walks were exciting for teenagers, it wasn’t so for the elders. Stepping in the hip deep water was even more exciting while it rained when it felt like you are getting into a river. When the rain had stopped, the logged water didn’t look fresh and it even mixed with the drain water. However, it wasn’t an option for me. When I had to do it, I had to do it. But whenever I did, I enjoyed. Sometimes it wasn’t safe either to have such a tread as there is a possibility of opened up manholes and drowning in it. So whenever I reached home with all my clothes drenched, umbrella wide open, shoes stinking and feet blanched, it didn’t feel nonetheless of an achievement. And a cup of hard-tea after such an adventure was like exaggerate icing on the cake. Mumbai has underground power cable which they typically cut-off during very heavy rains for safety reasons. So the candle-lit dinner in such weather used to be blissful.

That day I got up bit early in the morning. I used to get up very early everyday but that day it was even earlier. I planned to reach college bit early, this had dual benefit, first the local train used to be less crowded in early hour and second I could go and occupy the seat closer to Tithi in the college. Keeping this mind I bathe early and ate my breakfast and started my journey of the day. yes, it used to be 2-3 hour long journey before I reached my college. That day, my timings coincided with my father’s office timing. He left home just one or two minute earlier but we were not together. It was scarce drizzling in the morning so I decided hire the autorickshaw to commute till the railway station. I reached the railway station comfortably and quickly. But when I was paying the fare, I saw a somewhat known person reaching railway station hurrily. He didn’t see me. He was my father who didn’t hire any rickshaw and came walking. Rickshaw guy asked me pay the fare quickly as he had to get other customers also. I was dumbfound to see my father who earned the money and didn’t enjoy it while I enjoyed without earning even a penny. I rarely enjoyed this ‘luxury’ after that.

1 comment:

sharat said...

After reading so many of your copied status on Facebook, this is like a fresh air.